getting MAC failure using osmo-sim-auth for 3G/USIM authentication

Rupert Lloyd rupert.lloyd at gmail.com
Mon Mar 11 18:45:41 UTC 2013

On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 2:05 PM, Lukas Kuzmiak <lukash at backstep.net> wrote:

> why would he need K? He's calling Authenticate APDU on the SIM directly.
>
> however, where did you get your AUTN data? 3G authentication is supposed
> to be mutual, you have to pass AUTN coming from the correct network,
> otherwise the SIM rejects to Authenticate you to the "spoofed" network.
> Isn't this your problem

Yes - I was naively using the input vector from the example on
http://openbsc.osmocom.org/trac/wiki/osmo-sim-auth to see what happened (I
am new at this!)

Having read through the specs I think that I understand  - the vector needs
to be synchronized with the USIM's stored value of SQN and the MAC will be
generated using an operator-specific variant of f1

Is that correct?

Rupert