SIMtrace MITM/emulator

Tom Schouten tom at zwizwa.be
Thu Jul 11 14:20:54 UTC 2013

On 07/10/2013 05:52 PM, Harald Welte wrote:
> Hi Tom,

>> Great. I'll check it out.  Is there anything essential that is missing?
> for CCID (card reader operation) not, it is basically the Atmel
> reference code merged with my DFU loader work and configured for the
> SIMtrace hardware.
>
> However, this is a completely different code base than what I used for
> the old/current SIMtrace firmware.  At that point I simply recycled code
> that I had written for openOCD many years earlier, when AFAIK there was
> no at91lib from atmel that could be used.
>
> So the 'simple' approach would be to not merge them yet, but have a CCID
> + phone-side firmware based on at91lib/at91work, but keep the old
> openpcd derived firmware for tracing.  Switching the modes would then
> require a firmware download.
>
> As soon as somebody finds time, the two firmwares could be merged, but
> my focus would be to have something that can do MITM at all, rather than
> all features in one firmware image.

I see.

>> Do you know if he escape mechanism is universally supported from the
>> PC application side?
> I fear you have to extend the respective CCID driver (libccid in the case
> of Linux and AFAIK also MacOS).  I'm not aware of any standard interface
> towards application programs to use this.  It's only standardized on the
> USB side.

I guess it's best for me to focus on the basic functionality first, and
solve the interface problem later in a second iteration when there is
time left.

Thanks for your input
Tom

BTW, one thing I noticed in both firmwares is that the LMA in the flash
elf binaries is not set correctly.  I was using the plain "load" command
in gdb to flash the bootloader and app to my AT91SAM7-EK over JTAG
(segger blue box), but the app went to 0x0 instead of 0x4000.