Initialization log

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Thu Feb 7 09:46:58 UTC 2013

Hi Hugo,

On Wed, Feb 06, 2013 at 02:43:21PM -0300, Hugo Soares wrote:
> My group bought a SIMTrace board from you and we're waiting for it to
> arrive. In the meantime, would you mind sending a log collected with it?
> Log should have the initial communication (including ATR) until network
> registration. Is that too much trouble?

just a minor clarification:
SIMtrace is developed by a free software / open hardware community
called Osmocom.  Anyone can build and sell the hardware.  sysmocom is a
company founded by two of the Osmocom project members and it sells it on
its webshop.  So you didn't really buy it from the community (to whose
mailing list you sent this message).

Regarding the traces: There is one at
http://bb.osmocom.org/trac/attachment/wiki/SIMtrace/c123_chinamobile.pcap
but it might not actually have registered to any network at that time.

I myself don't have ready-made traces of what you are asking for, so I
would have to prepare it.  Maybe somebody else here has example traces
of a full phone boot until network registration?

One reason why many people might not want to share traces is the amount
of sensitive private data (such as IMSI, SIM-PIN, Location (Cell-ID,
LAC) and other private data that is contained in such traces, at least
if they are done with operator-issued SIM cards in networks of regular
operators.