Incomplete trace (due to high-speed SIM?)

Holger Hans Peter Freyther holger at freyther.de
Sat Aug 10 07:16:36 UTC 2013

On Fri, Aug 09, 2013 at 10:54:28AM -1000, Min Xu wrote:
> Hi Holger

Dear Min,

> Thanks for getting back to me.  After analyzing the issue, I believe the
> issue is the overrun error the USART reports.  The issue appear to stem
> from the fact that each byte received by the USART is handled in the
> interrupt handler, but the USB sending code locks out the interrupt for the
> entirety of its call.  So I change the code in the following manner and it
> appears to solve the issue for me:

thank you for the analysis and the change! Would you like to create entire
git commits for the various things and follow the kernel coding style?

> 5)  An additional function call in the main loop to detect (and output to
> debug serial) if an overrun occured

great! We have a slightly different coding style but the change itself looks
good and I would support it to be included.

> 1)  Increase the small buffer to be large enough to hold 1 typical apdu:
> 270 bytes:  4 byte SIMTrace header, 4 byte command,  2 byte status, 1 byte
> instruction that appears to be repeated??  256 bytes payload

this seems reasonable. Using git gui blame on the req_ctx.h I notice that
this has already been increased for the SIM, increasing it further can
make sense.

> 2)  Disable USB interrupt before deciding to Continue to send stuff to USB
> until returning from function.
>
> 3)  lock out interrupt ONLY when retrieving a new req_ctx to transmit to USB
>
> 4)  Some additional code change to detect if a req_ctx is completely
> transmitted ..

I can't comment on these three as I have not looked into the inner workings
of the USB code yet.

I would propose we start with creating three git commits for the first three
things and then look into locking/disabling irqs.

thanks a lot
	holger