Getting started - unable to connect to the device

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Sun Jan 29 08:28:18 UTC 2012

Hi Mat!

On Sat, Jan 28, 2012 at 09:50:41PM -0500, Mat wrote:

> I tried to access the board with SAM-BA by following the firmware
> page.

This should not (have been / be) neccessarry.  But once you have tried
to erase the unit and install SAM-BA from rom, your only recovery option
is SAM-BA, as the simtrace firmware and the bootloader have been erased :/

> I only see the red LED faintly light when I'm jumping VCC to test, but
> nothing once I reconnect USB.

Was this the same before you tried erasing the flash and installing the
SAM-BA loader?   What exactly do you mean by "jumping VCC to test"?  The
device is normally USB powered, therer is no need for any additional
voltage supply.

The state of the LEDs while in SAM-BA mode is undefined.  However,
'faintly' might indicate a supply problem.  Have you tried powering the
board just from USB?  Have you tried differen computers or an external
USB hub?

If you applied external VCC, what kind of power supply were you using?

> I am right to assume that with a newly acquired board, I have to flash
> it with the firmware?

All boards sold in the sysmocom webshop ship flashed + tested, so it
should just have enumerated on USB upon connection.

I presume there was no visible mechanical damage to the unit upon
arrival?  Are you able to take a sharp photograph with good resolution
and mail it privately to me?  I just want to rule out any obvious
hardware damage during shipping.