MitM firmware status

Dominique Parolin D.Parolin at gmx.net
Thu Jan 12 10:18:32 UTC 2012

Thanks Lukash,

> If you have Ki of some real SIM I believe you could get some programmable
> SIM like those which were on cccamp 2011 and make those files there.

I am actually less interested in cloning a SIM, rather than the development of the actual SW than can do this stuff.

As it is yet impossible to extract the Ki of current SIMs / UICCs and the algorithm used can be a modified one, there won't be any use for such an emulated one in a real NW.

However to get full control over fields that the actual SIM/UICC holds and that are only editable by using ADM codes the MitM firmware would be a great tool.

You could force certain roaming scenarios, force failures for testing etc.

I understand that this might not really be useful in the scope of what simtrace is intended for.

Will look deeper into softsim, maybe start reimplementing it in Python in the scope of "RFC: Generic (U)SIM software"

Already have certain Python functionality to read/write/decode EFs on SIM and USIM, I am yet lacking the physical interface to an actual phone.

Regards,
Dominique