1.1p board not recognized

Martin Kaiser lists at kaiser.cx
Sun Feb 19 18:31:46 UTC 2012

Hi,

here's an update about my struggle to get the board working.

On one of my boxes, using Debian lenny, the board is not recognized
at all, regardless of the mode.

On a debian squeeze box, it looks like there's 3 scenarios

- the board is recognized by USB in "runtime mode", this only works when
  there's no phone and no sim connected. The red led is on in the case.
   - when I connect a phone and sim, the board is not recognized at all.
     The red led remains off.

- the board is recognized by USB in dfu mode

I tried updating the firmware, this time I used a main_simtrace.bin that
I compiled myself

root at skogar:~# dfu-util -d 16c0:0762 -a0 -D ./main_simtrace.bin -R
dfu-util - (C) 2007-2008 by OpenMoko Inc.
This program is Free Software and has ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY

dfu-util does currently only support DFU version 1.0

Opening USB Device 0x16c0:0x0762...
Found Runtime: [0x16c0:0x0762] devnum=2, cfg=0, intf=0, alt=0,
name="SimTrace DFU Interface - Application Partition"
Claiming USB DFU Interface...
Setting Alternate Setting #0 ...
Determining device status: state = dfuIDLE, status = 0
dfuIDLE, continuing
Transfer Size = 0x0100
bytes_per_hash=416
Starting download: [##################################################]
finished!
state(7) = dfuMANIFEST, status(0) = No error condition is present
state(2) = dfuIDLE, status(0) = No error condition is present
Done!
can't detach: error sending control message: Broken pipe
Resetting USB to switch back to runtime mode

I'm not sure if that is a successful update, though. The board comes up
in runtime mode but stops working when phone/sim are connected.

- I tried activating the sam-ba mode by following the steps in
  http://bb.osmocom.org/trac/wiki/SIMtrace/Firmware

  This does not work at all, the board remains in (non-working) runtime
  mode, it does not come up in sam-ba mode.

Any more ideas?

Thanks, best regards,

   Martin