Simtrace production hardware

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Sat Jul 30 21:36:20 UTC 2011

Hi all,

the 100 SIMtrace production units have recently arrived from the SMT
factory.  While this is good news, there are some bad news as well:

1) blocking capacitor C12 too far from LDO causing power oscillations
   This problem can easily be re-worked by manually soldering a
   capacitor immediately to the LDO input pin.  Even though 60-75% of
   the units seem to work without the re-work, we're adding it to make
   sure there are no issues later on.

2) something like 20 to 25% of the units have some problem related to
   the initial programming of the SAM-BA loader.  Everything works fine
   if the flashing is been done via JTAG, or later using sam7dfu +
   dfu-util.  The problem is still under investigation, but despite
   something like 6 hours debugging and soldering additional capacitors,
   even replacing the entire SAM7S have not rendered any results.

Please don't ask me to ship some units yet, as we are still testing
them.  As per our original schedule, we will start to sell them at the
CCC Camp and then offer a webshop from the second half of August
onwards.