Active Manipulation SIM-ME

Dirk Kirsten dirk.kirsten at uni-konstanz.de
Thu Jul 14 13:37:47 UTC 2011

Hello,

We would like to do some active manipulation between our ME and the SIM
card. As I understood correctly, the hardware SIMtrace project is just
about passive monitoring the traffic in between, am I right? So this seems
to be inappropriate for our aims.

So we thought about a solution more like the RebelSIM card, which is
documented as well in the osmocomBB wiki. Unfortunately, the information
given there are also very vague. So maybe it is just outdated: Does
anybody worked with the RebelSIM card in a way that they try to manipulate
the responses from the SIM (or do something else, except from unlocking
their phone)? Is it possible to flash it via SIM card interface?!

What we actually want to do is to replace same values, e.g. we want to
provide another Kc than the SIM card in fact has (this is solely a
research project). So maybe there is some other way to do is, except the
approach based on RebelSIM? If so I would be grateful for your valuable
feedback.

Cheers,
Dirk