a problematic sim?

Lukas Kuzmiak lukash at backstep.net
Thu Dec 15 21:24:14 UTC 2011

Hi Harald, Holger,

I've tried couple of things, here are the results:

- I've connected a osmocom-like ftdi cable and gathered a trace from there
(not sure if i can somehow enable more debug msgs, haven't done any special
setup, if you want me to take it with some more verbosity being set somehow
- please let me know. trace is attached).

- I've put one printf() into the apdu_split_in method, it seems the buffer
is somehow getting scrambled from the beginning, it shows something like:

Lukass-MacBook-Air:host lukash$ ./simtrace
simtrace - GSM SIM and smartcard tracing
(C) 2010 by Harald Welte <laforge at gnumonks.org>

Entering main loop
unknown simtrace msg type 0xa4
apdu_split_in() reached.
APDU: a4 6f 05 9f 0f a0 c0
apdu_split_in() reached.
apdu_split_in() reached.
.... and so on (tons of times).

so the APDUs are somehow going back and forth (as apdu_split_in is being
called over and over) but simtrace is having some troubles
displaying/parsing them.

I've found some more simcards behaving like this, Harald - if you want me
to send you one for testing please send me your address, I'll be happy to
do that - or I can bring it to 28c3 too - I'll leave that up to u.

Cheers,
Lukas