Request for Comment: Creating a binary format output for rtl_power

Karl Semich 0xloem at gmail.com
Mon Mar 9 09:09:01 UTC 2020

Hi,

I missed this discussion on a topic I value.

I would propose moving towards audiovideo containers like mkv, so that
norms for things like tags and channels can develop, and algorithms for
stream compression be used when relevant.  Standardization is always a work
in progress, always helpful to everyone, and gets more people working on
each other's problems.

rtl_power_fftw also has a binary output format see
https://github.com/AD-Vega/rtl-power-fftw/pull/11

soapy_power has a binary format output with a lot of proposed contributions
i am unfortunately involved with but didn't have the capacity to take over
when xmikos tired out https://github.com/xmikos/soapy_power/pulls

One thing I tend to desire of spectrum storage formats is the ability to
store raw i/q logs for parts of the recording alongside them, or with a
glitchy device like rtlsdr the serial number and usb packetlog (see
https://github.com/keenerd/rtl-sdr/compare/master...xloem:logfile-official
) with a way to mark synchronization of events.