RTL_FM on the fly updates

tom at tswartz.net tom at tswartz.net
Tue Jan 8 00:36:56 UTC 2019

Hey Mark:

I'd happily be corrected, if it proves otherwise but I just gave it a shot locally.

My setup was:
rtl_tcp streaming over ethernet to a LAN host running GQRX 2.11.5

Wide FM worked as expected, tuned up to a local broadcast FM station no issues.
NFM also worked, and I received a local ham repeater on 2m band.

I did notice that the gain values were different in GQRX's GUI when
switching between rtl_tcp and rtl_sdr drivers.
Perhaps that subtle difference in gain values were what you had seen?
I was not using Hardware AGC in either instance, but I set the values
via the slider.
rtl_tcp reported: `set gain 372` (and other values) when I adjusted the
GQRX gain sliders.

Perhaps someone else with better knowledge of the agc/gain settings
can speak to why you may have been seeing a difference with the AGC enabled.

--
Tom Swartz