Bus error using rtl-sdr

Amin Shah Gilani amin at gilani.me
Tue Feb 12 22:11:56 UTC 2019

Hi

I'm experiencing a "bus error" everytime rtl-sdr tries to interact with my
SDR. Here's a sample:

rtl_fm -f 1000000
Found 1 device(s):
  0:  Realtek, RTL2838UHIDIR, SN: 00000001

Using device 0: Generic RTL2832U OEM
Found Rafael Micro R820T tuner
Tuner gain set to automatic.
[R82XX] PLL not locked!
Tuned to 1252000 Hz.
Oversampling input by: 42x.
Oversampling output by: 1x.
Buffer size: 8.13ms
Exact sample rate is: 1008000.009613 Hz
Allocating 15 zero-copy buffers
Bus error

I'm running Kali on a Raspberry Pi, and I've used the repository version,
and compiled from source — no change. The only thing that makes this error
go away in `rtl_test` is to pass it the -S flag (forcing synchronous) flow.

Does anyone have any idea how to fix this?

If you'd like the Karma and would like to help solve this problem publicly
for future users, Stack Overflow question continuously being updated is
here:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/54657089/rtl-sdr-crashes-with-bus-error-when-running-rtl-tcp-or-rtl-test

―Amin Shah Gilani <https://amin.gilani.me/>