Discerning FL2K devices with LDOs versus switching regulators

Müller, Marcus (CEL) mueller at kit.edu
Thu May 10 08:48:14 UTC 2018

Hi Mac,

so first of all: any spur is only a problem if it ends up in your
signal. Since we're clearly talking about devices that you can't use
for operation with an antenna withou very much filtering: check whether
you actually get a problem first. To be completely honest, the whole
LDO vs. SMPS discussion often bares technical background, as you'll
find SMPS in high-end radio receiver devices just as well. It's all
about /designing/ your thing to be low noise, not about the "use an LDO
instead of a switcher".

Now, Steve has offered nice figures about the spurs there, so these
might actually be linked to the switcher. However, the method seems to
be to first measure, then link cause to it; not the other way around.
I'd argue that the device with the many spurs that, actually do look
like one rectangular wave modulated another rectangular wave, was
simply badly designed, probably with underdimensioned means of
eliminating cross-talk between the two switchers (no idea how they
relate). What confuses me is that these spurs roughly fall into a 3 MHz
grid – and that's usually a bit on the high end for switching
frequencies.

Another device with a switcher *might* be nicely filtered and work
perfectly well. I agree, adding a switching regulater definitely adds a
source of noise, but please don't assume that cheaply designed LDO
systems are superior in signal quality¹; there's modern switch mode
supplies that actually use spread-spectrum methods to spread out the
energy they leak onto many frequencies², and others that you can
synchronize e.g. to sampling clocks so that noise at least aligns and
can be filtered out more easily.

The point I'm trying to make is that if these spurs are a problem to
you (and I can heartily to figure on slide 17 worrying you), then
you'll want to have spur measurements at different sampling rates at
exactly your USB bus – in the end, the noise of a SMPS very much
depends on how hard it is at work, and a stable input supply and high
output current might be nicer than a dropping input and a current draw
so small that forces the SMPS into discontinuous current mode.

Regarding spotting:
-------------------

Switch mode supplies generally can be found by looking for (large-ish)
inductors close to (large-ish) diodes, typically close to either a
converter IC or in higher-current applications close to a (large-ish)
discrete transistor. Do an image search for "SMD power inductor", and
you'll see how these tend to look like.

Regarding remedies:
-------------------

Filters, filters, filters³!
You need to select the right Nyquist zone, anyway. So, pick a sampling
rate range that works out for that; shifting your signal in digital
domain so that it ends up where you want it after being shifted by the
sample clock N times allows you to have some leeway there. Then, use
whatever remaining degrees of freedom you have to pick a rate that is
at a supply spur – and filter that out. Whether this is an option at
all of course depends on the RF bandwidth you need.

Replacing the power supply on-board:
I'm willing to say "it's possible", but I'd also say "at a time
investment higher than simply buying a handful of candidates and simply
sticking with one that works".
Supplies typically have to be electrically well-coupled to the ground
and supply lines, so if you externalize these, you'd replace the
original output stage of the on-board SMPS with larger capacitors, but
these typically have worse RF interference suppression properties, so
you'd add smaller capacitors, but now you have a system with capacitors
of different sizes and internal resistances and inherently some
inductive characteristics of whatever connects the external supply to
these connectors – you can certainly simply build that, and it's not
that unlikely it'd work, especially if you overdimension everything a
bit, but I wouldn't know how to predictably make a "first trial works"
device.
Note that switch mode ICs for these voltages and currents aren't
necessarily solder-friendly⁴ . Rule of thumb: The smaller the package,
the higher the switching frequency⁵ – and as noted above, 3 MHz would
be at the higher end of the spectrum of switching frequencies⁶, but
that's likely because higher switching frequency also makes the
necessary inductance smaller, and hence, the inductor cheaper.

What I would do
===============

Compare a handful of dongles. Because:
a) They're cheap, and time is sparse,
b) can't be that bad to have spare ones lying around, for operation
away from the spurs, or to give to friends who want to try that, or to
honestly resell as tested to work with osmo-fl2k but replaced with a
lower-noise one,
c) to verify hypotheses on how to fix things, without risking to fry
one of the "good ones", and
c) if you can figure out how to improving the best one, maybe it
becomes easy to improve the others, too. Maybe it's easier to observe
an improvement in the ones that are bad.

Go and measure. That means that I'd both add appropriate output filters
for both the Nyquist zone I want, and measure after that (e.g. using an
RTL dongle, whose spurs I at least know), as well as trying to figure
out where exactly the spurs come from – are they really on the signal
lines, or are they radiated into my measurement by the shield conductor
of the VGA port? When I probe around with an oscilloscope, on which
lines do I see exactly these frequencies I observed?

Then, improve and adapt. If things are actually radiated by the board,
proper shielding might be the simplest method to improve the situation.
Else, go for easy things like soldering another (better, as in lower
ESR, higher capacity?) capacitor onto the decoupling capacitors or
output smoothing caps on-board⁷ first.

Best regards,
Marcus

¹ You can underdampen these LDOs, just as well, or underdimension them:
linear supplies tend to be cheaper than SMPS for small loads, so the
fact that some manufacturers use SMPSes might point out that you'd need
a relatively beefy and fast LDO and thus expensive LDO to reliably
supply the current needed, and there's plenty that you can mess up when
you're designing an LDO system at the edge of cost efficiency

² Though that doesn't sound too desirable here

³ Imagine Ballmer going "developers!" on you here.

⁴ In highly integrated electronics, ICs with 6 pads in a package of
total size ~ 1 mm × 1.3 mm would be typical if you just need a small
step-down from 1.8 V to 1.2 V efficiently.

⁵ Because the higher the frequency, the less charge transfered per
cycle, the lower the switched current, the smaller the switching
transistor.

⁶ Please don't really infer that this means you get a chip scale
package – these VGA dongles were built with cost, not size, as primary
target, as you can see from the sparsely populated simple PCBs; you
don't use a high-end phone-building assembly line to build 5 € VGA
dongles, so you don't use <0.05 mm tolerance in placement parts.

⁷ Maybe don't take it this far:
 https://twitter.com/LaF0rge/status/892872883164336128