RTL-SDR sample bit depth

John Ackermann N8UR jra at febo.com
Sun Mar 4 22:09:57 UTC 2018

Hi Leif --

Thanks for the reply, and for the pointer to your page!  I will look at
that very closely.

The purpose of my tests is for using dongles with the CW Skimmer
software which takes an input bandwidth of 192 kHz.

I'm looking at 192 kHz of spectrum in a 1024 bin FFT, so that's 187.5 Hz
per bin.  Trying to understand what you said below, is it correct that I
should view the bin width as the equivalent of the receive bandwidth for
MDS purposes?  And that therefore there would be processing gain of
about 30 dB (division by 1024)?  That would bring my measurements into
the range of theory.

For what it's worth, attached is an animation I did showing the abrupt
onset of spurs when the ADC overload point is reached, in this case at
-57 dBm with "rf gain" set to 37.2.  (If the listserv deletes this, let
me know and I'll send it to you privately.)

Thanks!

73,
John
----