gr-osmosdr / no tagged versions since 2014

Patrick Strasser-Mikhail patrick at wirklich.priv.at
Mon Jun 4 22:07:25 UTC 2018

A. Maitland Bottoms 2018-06-03 21:54:

What do you think of Semantic Versioning (https://semver.org/)?

> Summary
> -------
> Given a version number MAJOR.MINOR.PATCH, increment the:
>
>     MAJOR version when you make incompatible API changes,
>     MINOR version when you add functionality in a backwards-compatible manner, and
>     PATCH version when you make backwards-compatible bug fixes.
>
> Additional labels for pre-release and build metadata are available as extensions to the MAJOR.MINOR.PATCH format.

> ---
> [...]
> How do I know when to release 1.0.0?
> ------------------------------------
> If your software is being used in production, it should probably already be 1.0.0. If you have a stable API on which users have come to depend, you should be 1.0.0. If you’re worrying a lot about backwards compatibility, you should probably already be 1.0.0.
> [...]

gr-osmosdr being actively used for years now and already including
dozens of patches and forked-tree features, it seems to me that 1.0.0 is
completely warranted.
If bugfixes and new features keep on coming, bumps in minor number and
patch number seem to help make versions better comparable.

BR

Patrick
--
Engineers motto: cheap, good, fast - choose any two
One of the lucky 10.000: http://xkcd.com/1053