limitations of using multiple RTL-SDR dongles simultaneously

Müller, Marcus (CEL) marcus.mueller2 at kit.edu
Mon Jan 8 21:49:43 UTC 2018

Hi Olivier,

at a sampling rate of 250 kHz, and with the usual 8 bit complex
(meaning 8bit I + 8bit Q = 16 bit per sample), a single dongle will
send 4 Mbit/s, not 500 kbit/s. Are you perhaps confusing bytes with
bits?

Anyway, you're right, the hypothetical transfer rate of USB2 HiSpeed
would be 480 Mbit/s, so plenty enough for more than 4 dongles.

You say the fifth RTL dongle doesn't even start. Is there a specific
error?
That very much doesn't sound like a data rate problem, but more like a
hardware issue.

Can you see (without using them) more than four dongles on your USB
bus? What operating system are you using? Does it work under e.g.
Linux¹? (I see you're using bash, but I'm not sure this implies this is
Linux.)

Best regards,
Marcus

¹ you could download a USB image and try on your own. Trying in a VM
doesn't make sense, so really write the image to a USB dongle or DVD:

http://inpha.se/GNU_Radio-Live-Hamradio-binary.iso

It's half a year old already, but I built it to include rtl_sdr tooling