RTL-SDR Power Consumption

Ricardo Romanowski spam at rocketri.de
Mon Feb 6 21:39:16 UTC 2017

Hi Marcus,

thanks for the Information!

Though it might seem (and the temperature rise of ~40 degrees (i
measured) between no power supply and a active chipset propably has
*some* impact on the signal recieved) heat is not my main concern.

My application is a raspberry zero with a oled screen and a battery
attached that's a portable and slim sdr scanner. The raspberry performs
superb battery-lifetime-wise (7 hours of idle/4 hours under 100% cpu
load on a 1Ah single cell lipo) and i'm looking for the longest battery
life that i can possibly archieve (as well as smallest size).

I've continued searching for info on that topic after i sent the mail
and found that there are indeed big differences between chipsets:
https://www.reddit.com/r/RTLSDR/comments/2e9u7v/power_consuption/ which
means that the E4000 uses (very) roughly 1/3rd of the energy of a R820T
chipset. To bring that into some relation:
for the raspberry to last 4 hours under full load on a 1000mAh battery
(voltage regulator losses included) it propably draws ~250mA. Attaching
a 300mA usb dongle would  propably mean that i would get 1.8 hours of
lifetime, while IF the E4000 only uses 110mA i'd get 2.7 hours of
lifetime. Thats a significant difference (for me).

So much for describing my application and concerns a little further. All
the numbers are unproven so far (except for the 7h /4h lifetime of the
zero, i did measure that), meaning that i need to experiment a little
further and examine some chipsets power-consumption-vise myself.. As a
sidenote, the battery has nominal 1Ah on 3.2V (lipo) meaning that after
upconverting the voltage to 5V though a regulator (+loss) for that
lifetime the pi zero propably draws even less current than 250mAh, thus
increasing the impact of the power consumption of the rtl-sdr device for
my battery life even further.

Thank you so much for the description of temp-increase vs. signal
quality - in order to understand it completely i propably have to dive a
little deeper into general RF as you suggested.

Maybe somebody is able to confirm the numbers for current draw, or even
point me towards more energy-efficient rtl-sdr hardware (with a small
form factor)

Best regards, Ricardo