rtl_? for radio control?

Alan Corey alancorey at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 27 04:49:18 UTC 2013

OK, so you plug a $20 dongle into a Raspberry Pi, hook some stuff to the GPIO connector and with probably minor tweaks to something like RTL_FM you can use it as a radio in radio-controlled model planes, cars, boats.  Add the Pi's $25 camera and you could have a radio-controlled camera, useful for sending up in a radio-controlled plane or doing wildlife photography.  If you've got some analog (pulse position) channels those would be good for rudder, flaps, various camera settings.  This can be done in the 27 MHz CB band or with a ham license in something like the 6 meter ham band.  I had no trouble getting RTL_FM running on my Pi but it probably doesn't have enough CPU horsepower to do a lot of processing on the dongle side and on the imaging side at the same time.

Anybody done this?

  Alan
-----
Radio Astronomy - the ultimate DX