new TV Tuner Chip, the Si2177

Adam Nielsen a.nielsen at shikadi.net
Mon Sep 23 09:09:06 UTC 2013

> How useful is such a "wide bandwidth" for users ?

It depends what you are trying to examine.  If you want to look at TV
signals you need 8MHz, if you want to look at 802.11n you need
40-80MHz, 160MHz for 802.11ac, etc.  Many people are interested in
implementing these protocols entirely in software for many reasons,
many revolving around security.

> How many of them really need such a wide bandwidth ?

The wider the better, simply for flexibility.  The wider the bandwidth
the less the need for frequency hopping if you can receive all relevant
frequencies at once.  This is why there are relatively frequent
questions about combining multiple devices to extend the available
bandwidth.  It looks like the HackRF's external clock input will make
it one of the first low cost devices that can do this.

> Up to now it always looked like users were mostly interested in
> single channels. I am new to this list and don't know what others are
> doing.

Up to now it was only really practical to listen to a single channel.
The Realtek 2832 dongles are the first to make it practical to listen
to multiple channels, but a lot of SDR software still needs to catch up.

> My device is an ADLINK digitizer PCIe-9842:

That is very interesting!  I will leave others to comment on the
viability of devices like this for SDR purposes.

Cheers,
Adam.