new TV Tuner Chip, the Si2177

Nick Foster bistromath at gmail.com
Sat Sep 21 22:26:06 UTC 2013

HackRF sends 8bit samples, same as the RTL dongle. 20Msps * 8bits * 2
(complex sampling) = 320Mbit/s, or 67% utilization. The Ettus B100 gets
10.6Msps on most USB host controllers, sometimes 12.8Msps if you have a
really nice USB host controller with nothing else on the bus -- 71-85%
utilization with 16bit samples. You can double that if you select 8 bit
sampling mode for the B100, for 21.3-25.6Msps, at the cost of dynamic
range. The RTL dongle appears not to be able to continuously sample above
2.4Msps for reasons that are unclear to me, but certainly not due to a
USB2.0 limitation.

--n