new TV Tuner Chip, the Si2177

Jay Salsburg jsalsburg at bellsouth.net
Sat Sep 21 16:12:05 UTC 2013

Digital TV reception is the target App for these new Tuner Chips, the target
platform is the Smart Phone. If you read the Preliminary Datasheet, SILICON
LABS conspicuously mentions their new Tuner exhibits immunity to
interference from Wi-Fi and LTE. Since Smart Phone and Tablet technology is
accelerating at WARP speed with a Moore Iteration every few months (not 18
months like he envisioned), it is logical that Technology Convergence in
Smart Phones is not over, designers will probably put TV Receivers in Smart
Phones and Tablets, and LTE in Set Top Boxes and TVs.

I remember, in the 1980s SILICON LABS was the first to produce Multi Op-Amp
DIPs, I still have some of them in my Chip Stash. If Memory serves me, their
designation was L144.

I apologize for substituting terms in the previous messages, it did get some
of you going. Not since I was a Wafer Fab Engineer at Western Digital has
that annoying practice gotten me in trouble when I openly referred to my
Employer as Western Vegetable.