rtl_fm, rtl_power, mingw, r820t

Steve Markgraf steve at steve-m.de
Fri Sep 13 16:58:43 UTC 2013

Hi,

sorry for the delay, I was on vacation.

On 28.08.2013 13:55, keenerd wrote:
> Overhauled scanning in rtl_fm.  This fixed a number of issues, where
> either scanning did not work at all and some brokenness on OpenBSD.
> It also meant giving up on the async API entirely.

Merged the patch, thanks.

> Released a whole new application, rtl_power.  This is something I'd
> had bouncing around on my hard drive for many months, half-unwritten
> due to over-complexity.  It'll generate CSV files of arbitrarily
> slow/wide/detailed FFTs.  Also a little visualization script[2] that
> won't choke when you give it 50,000 columns of data.

I'll take a look at it, although I'm not sure if we should pick up yet
another application in the rtl-sdr repository, or if it's better if you
just maintain it outside of the tree (like dump1090 for example). Any
opinions?

> Second was the discovery[5] that scanning had gotten a whole lot
> slower since my original experiments with rtl_fm.  85mS to retune is
> unacceptably slow.  Since the r820t driver is the slowest, I started
> looking into figuring out what is going on.  Still figuring that out
> but I have done basic cleanups to the code (removing redundancy,
> particularly around register writes) and the driver is 15% shorter
> with no modifications to code behavior.

Yeah, the r820t driver is really a mess. I've seen that the v4l-guys
have rewritten the driver [1], my goal for the next months is to use
that for rtl-sdr, merge back our gain code and make it thread-safe.

> I would not mind talking to Steve or one of the other devs on IRC
> about some of the more ambiguous aspects of the driver.  (Like, why
> some reg writes are backed up to R828_Arry[] and others aren't.  And
> is that array thread safe at all?  If not I'll have to do some very
> large changes to support multiple dongles in rtl_power.)

According some recent tests by patchvonbraun the array isn't
thread-safe.

Regards,
Steve

[1]