Problems on CentOS 6.4 (64 bit)

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Fri Oct 11 04:15:09 UTC 2013

Mahmoud Lababidi wrote:
> forget rpm, just install libusb by downloading the tarball at
> http://www.libusb.org/
> configure make make install
>
> just my two cents

I'd recommend avoiding the libusbx tarball which has been linked from
there and instead getting the http://git.libusb.org/libusb.git code.

Adam Nielsen wrote:
> > > As far as I can tell, CentOS 6.4 uses libusb 0.1.12, released in
> > > August 2010.  This is over three years old!  A *lot* of bug fixes
> > > and improvements happen in three years.
> >
> > Age has nothing to do with it.
>
> So you're saying no useful work was done on libusb in three years?

It's complicated, but yes libusb.git code hasn't changed in about a
year. I expect it to work reliably, and indeed one or two bugs have
been fixed since the 1.0.9 release. (Before you say it, no, I can not
simply make a 1.0.10 release. As I wrote, it is complicated. If you'd
like to help out feel free to let me know and I'll explain until your
ears fall off.. :)

> Granted I haven't looked at the commit history but it seems a bit
> unlikely.

Please do look into the facts (it's very easy) rather than speculating.

Thanks

//Peter