multiple devices in one process?

Michel Pelletier pelletier.michel at gmail.com
Thu Nov 14 16:19:12 UTC 2013

Hi Peter, thanks so much for your reply,

On Mon, Nov 11, 2013 at 6:00 AM, Peter Stuge <peter at stuge.se> wrote:

> Michel Pelletier wrote:
> > I'm expecting that there will be no reliable correlation.
> I do know USB and libusb and the key in this case is how bulk
> transfers are scheduled on the bus - namely optimized for throughput.
> Bulk transfers fill whatever bus time is free up to the maximum
> throughput the device can handle.
>
> And even if we imagine that you could have two host controllers with
> a synchronized schedule (not possible without rewriting the kernel
> USB stack) you still don't know what happens inside the USB device,
> there is no guarantee that it doesn't introduce jitter too.
>
> USB is not a low latency synchronized interconnect, it is optimized
> for throughput.
>
> Reliable scheduling over USB *is* possible, but not using bulk and
> not with too high throughput.

Rasz has pointed out in a follow up message that two coherently clocked
dongles will buffer data internally and the actual arrival time of the data
in-process is irrelevant.  I think the important point is the event time
that the sampling is triggered, and getting the two triggering events to be
as closely synchronized as possible.  It seems to me that the jitter would
be more predictable, and minimized, if it were the case that rtlsdr could
setup two bulk transfers in the same process, and wait on those two devices
in the same libusb_handle_events_* call.

You have a point in general that you don't know what is going on inside the
usb device, and for things like hard drives or network devices that seek or
wait on external physical processes (the movement of a head, the arrival of
a packet) would have no predictable timing.  But it seems to me the rtl
dongles have no external physical dependency like that, when you tell them
to sample it happens as soon as the dongle receives the command.  The data
is buffered, and then transferred to the host at some later point.

What I want to achieve is the minimizing of the time between the two
triggering events and then measuring that jitter.  I'd like to setup the
experiment where two coherently clocked dongles both sample from a good
timing source, say the GPS L1 frequency, and then compare the two sample
blocks against each other to see how they are offset against each other in
time and if that offset is reasonably bound across many samples.  It seems
like I will need to do a little hacking to setup a process capable of this
functionality, and will report back with any information I have.

-Michel