Broadcast FM subcarrier decoding?

Alan Corey alancorey at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 19 03:07:43 UTC 2013

Yes, SCA is what I was thinking of.  I used to be an electronics technician in consumer electronics back in the 70s and this was on licensing exams, aside from seeing them in catalogs.  Being from a rural area it was just something I read about, I never actually saw one.  I had forgotten the L-R signal was on a 19 KHz subcarrier, I was looking for a 1.9 KHz, which makes no sense since it would be in the audio passband.

If I run into it again I'll grab a screen shot, but what I was probably seeing was an overload condition on my poor little NooElec dongle.  There's a 2 meter repeater about 20 miles away, but line of sight.  When that keys up I see peaks all over the 2 MHz range that SDRSharp shows me for 2 meters, but they all go away when it unkeys.  The FM broadcast station I was thinking of is a little farther away but of course a lot more powerful.  When I look for them now I can't find them.  I remember checking one to see if it was 1.9 KHz away from the main peak, but it was several times that, maybe around 8 KHz.

Enjoyed the QST article, my copy came about a week after my dongle.  I built one of the upconverter kits from Hayseed Hamfest, and it works, but it's deaf as a post.  Even on my 150 foot longwire I can only hear the stronger stations.  AM broadcast stations and the strong bible beaters are about it.  Tuning the HF ham bands, I've rarely heard hams and then only 1 side of each QSO.

The SA612 data sheet I've got (Philips) is skimpy on specifics but I wonder about the oscillator injection level.  I've been trying to decide whether to put a pot in there to adjust or a dual gate mosfet broadband preamp on it.  It seems like the oscillator level should be close to the signal level.  I've got some BF998 FETs I was going to use because I can put a pot on the gate 2 voltage to control the gain.

  73,  Alan,  AB1JX

-----
Radio Astronomy - the ultimate DX