rtl-tcp-server running on avm-fritzbox

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Fri Jun 7 10:37:34 UTC 2013

df8oe at gmx.de wrote:
> > > usb_claim_interface error -5
> >
> > $ grep -- -5 src/libusb/libusb/libusb.h
> >         LIBUSB_ERROR_NOT_FOUND = -5,
..
> > The kernel is saying that the interface doesn't exist.
>
> If the interface does not exist:
>
> Where does the kernel get the following information

Interface has a very specific meaning in USB. Please look into
chapters 5 8 and 9 of the USB 2.0 spec available at usb.org to
learn more.

> I think the interface cannot be opened

The interface can not be claimed because the kernel doesn't think
that it exists. The error is actually really clear.

> When I plug in the stick correspondent devices are created under /dev/usb/

USB is a packet bus with highly structured communication. Device
nodes in /dev are not a good reference.

df8oe at gmx.de wrote:
> here the output of lsusb -v: http://www.df8oe.de/lsusb.txt

Unfortunately the fritzbox has a useless mini lsusb program as
opposed to the actual lsusb utility from the usbutils package.
It would be great if you could build the real one.

Somewhat less effort and still interesting would be to mount debugfs
and then cat /sys/kernel/debug/usb/devices

Other than that, it would be helpful if you could build a libusb
binary with debug logging enabled. See http://libusb.org/wiki/debug
for copypaste instructions that would apply to a host build. You must
modify them as appropriate for your cross build of course.

//Peter