mingw32

Leif Asbrink leif at sm5bsz.com
Sat Jan 26 13:25:45 UTC 2013

Hello Peter,

This may not be the appropriate forum for libusb-1.0 discussions,
but since the library is essential for rtlsdr users I take the
liberty to post my findings here.

I already solved the problems when your posting appeared.
I will try the proper configure commands. That would make
things easier of course.

I am not a programmer. There is a lot of terminology that
I do not understand. I am limited to a small sub-set
of regular C and I am too old to learn big volumes of
new things. My interest is radio and signal processing.
The RTL dongle is a marvellous thing (with the e4k tuner)
and I want to make people aware of how it can be used.
Having to worry about drive routines is frustrating but
necessary for performance reasons.

I have been using simple hand-written Makefiles to
compile and create the libraries. I will try the commands
that you have supplied to see what happens, but first
I will make a new version of Linrad available that will
use rtlsdr properly under Windows.

First of all, the Debian versions of mingw32 are broken. There
are two alternative (mutually excluding) mackages.
The package gcc-mingw32 runs the first step and produces
an assembly file that contains errors causing the second
step to fail. (do not remember what routine)

The package mingw32 does compile but the linker can not
find the entry for vprintf. There are several .a files
containing a reference to it, if should be located
in libmingwex but it is not there.

The mingw package (5.1.6) for Windows works however so I can
compile on an XP platform.

I have tested http://git.libusb.org/libusb.git (today, Jan 26)

As it turns out I have to make a couple of changes to allow
compilation. Those are:

--------------------------- core.c -----------------------------
/* Offset between 1/1/1601 and 1/1/1970 in 100 nanosec units */
// #define _W32_FT_OFFSET (116444736000000000)
// Jan 26 2013 Leif _sbrink SM5BSZ
// mingw32 does not accept this. Integer constant too large.
// define in 100 millisecond units.
// The routine is rewritten in a simple-minded fashion
#define _W32_FT_OFFSET (11644473600.0)

int usbi_gettimeofday(struct timeval *tp, void *tzp)
 {
 unsigned __int64 *ns100; /*time since 1 Jan 1601 in 100ns units */
 FILETIME ft;
 ns100=(__int64*)&ft;

  if(tp)
    {
      GetSystemTimeAsFileTime (&ft);
      tp->tv_usec=(long)((ns100[0] / 10) % 1000000 );
      ns100[0]/=10000000;
      ns100[0]-=_W32_FT_OFFSET;
      tp->tv_sec= (long)ns100[0];
    }
  /* Always return 0 as per Open Group Base Specifications Issue 6.
     Do not set errno on error.  */
  return 0;
}
// end of modified code Jan 26 2013
-----------------------   threads_windows.c   ----------------------
// Jan 26 2013 Leif _sbrink SM5BSZ Line changed to coply with mingw
// static int __inline usbi_cond_intwait(usbi_cond_t *cond,
static __inline int usbi_cond_intwait(usbi_cond_t *cond,

The resulting library does not work however. It returns -12
to librtl during the initial setup.

I have also compiled libusb-1.0.9 which needed the same
modifications. The library runs, but behaves as all precompiled
versions available on the Internet. Crashes on a frequency change.

Having the library running from my own source code
allowed tracing the crash that occurs when the frequency
is changed while the callback is running. The culpit
is the call usbi_warn(NULL,.... that is issued when
something belonging to another thread is detected.
I have commented out all such calls and now libusb-1.0.9
runs fine on my Windows machine:-)

I have verified that usbi_warn is ok if a context is supplied.

Regards

Leif