rtl-sdr and gr-osmosdr

Jonathan Guthrie jguthrie at brokersys.com
Sun Jan 13 00:08:33 UTC 2013

Sir:

If you look in the place where you built gr-osmosdr, you will find a
file called install_manifest.txt which contains where it put all the
files.  The rtlsdr_source_c.xml and osmosdr_source_c.xml (which are
files that describe the sources, both of which produce streams of
complex numbers, which is what the naming convention means) are how the
gnuradio companion knows how to use those sources.

Do a "sudo make uninstall" where you built gr-osmosdr, and then start
over with gr-osmosdr.  But this time, instead of just running "cmake"
with no options, use the command:

    cmake .. -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr

You "define" (that's what "-D" means) the value "CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX"
to be /usr.  If you don't define it to be something, it will use the
default value of "/usr/local"

I have a Web page with partial instructions (it's not intended to be a
Linux introduction, although I will do my best to answer specific
questions if you have any) and some other stuff on it:
http://www.ka8kpn.org/sdr-dongle.html

Oh, and while I'm thinking about it, I really detest mailing lists whose
default action on a reply is to write directly to the person to whom you
are responding rather than to the list.  To me, it is optimizing the
atypical case and it makes far more sense to optimize for what everyone
nearly always wants to do.  That is, it may be technically correct, but
it is definitely the wrong thing to do.  However, I know I've lost that
battle, so I'll not mention it again.