How to get IQ samples from multiple rtl-sdr dongles in a synchronized manner?

Jiao Xianjun putaoshu at gmail.com
Mon Dec 30 07:38:04 UTC 2013

Hi guys,

For the multiple dongles synchronization in signal level instead of
bits/packets level, I setup a working repo in github, and write a initial
demo framework. See below:

https://github.com/JiaoXianjun/multi-rtl-sdr-udp-relay.git

You may find information and instruction of demo quickly by reading the
README.

My initial purpose is performing in-fly calibration for multiple dongles
according to some pre-known signal (GSM, ADS-B?) to let them work together
coherently.

An ideal scheme may be that we should generate a very narrow band and very
week signal in (or just located at the edge of) target working band of
dongles, and perform the software in-fly calibration in background (or
driver level). This would be user friendly.

I know it is far from final state currently, and many things are not clear
yet (See TODO). But please join me if you also think this is a good idea.
Just check out the demo and run it to have a look.

Currently I just test the demo in Ubuntu-Linux.

BR

Jiao Xianjun