How to get IQ samples from multiple rtl-sdr dongles in a synchronized manner?

Sylvain AZARIAN sylvain.azarian at gmail.com
Sun Aug 25 15:30:34 UTC 2013

Another issue you'll have is to start both dongles simultaneously...
with the sampling rate you'll have on the dongles this becomes quite tricky
: you get blocks of samples from both dongles but you have no idea of how
many samples they are shifted in time. One way to solve this is to search
for cross correlation between channels, but this is not very easy in
realtime. This can be done by post-processing offline.
I thaught of this a while ago, using a pin diode or something equivalent to
shortcut both inputs to ground to find an easy way to have the synchro
between channels but did not try it yet

sylvain