How RTL-SDR samples signals

Lucas Ingles lucas.lorenzi at gmail.com
Tue Aug 20 02:44:51 UTC 2013

Hello to all,

Please, can someone help me to understand how RTL2832U samples signals?
I know it has two ADCs, one for the I (in-phase) component and other ADC
for the Q (quadrature) component.

In http://superkuh.com/rtlsdr.html the author states the signal is sampled
initially at 28.8 Msps and then re sampled to present whatever sample rate
is desired.

But
http://www.realtek.com.tw/products/productsView.aspx?Langid=1&PFid=35&Level=4&Conn=3&ProdID=257
says
that 28.8MHz is the frequency of the crystal, not the ADC.

I am confused with that, can someone help me?
If RTL2832U is able to sample at 28.8Msps, why don't use the maximum sample
rate? Maybe USB limitations?

Also, all ADCs used in RTL-SDR dongles are inside RTL2832U? Or we have
external ADCs?

Thanks very much in advance,
Lucas Ingles