Beginner question about rtlsdr

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Sun Oct 21 22:45:14 UTC 2012

Michel Pelletier wrote:
> > And as it happens, the GNU Radio package allows to snap many powerful
> > signal processing blocks together using python.
>
> Thanks Peter, I have installed gnu-radio and played around with it and
> rtlsdr, it was great for getting immediate results and picking around
> through the spectrum to see what's around.  If it provides
> functionality for radio astronomy, of course i would love to use it,
> but my very initial investigation didn't reveal much for me.

I think it may provide the primitive blocks that you need, even
if they weren't specifically created for radio astronomy.

> No square wheels here, pyrtlsdr, numpy, scipy, and matplotlib, are
> the precisely machined wheels I'm using so far to just dump and
> examine data.

One cool thing about GNU Radio is that while you use python to snap
blocks together the data path is compiled code, so it will beat the
performance of pure-python implementations. I don't know if numpy,
scipy, and matplotlib are, but worth keeping in mind.

Anyway, it's another option - if you need one specific simple signal
process then GNU Radio may be overkill, and if it's simple enough
with no bad performance tradeoff then reinventing that wheel can be
fun and educational.

//Peter