rtl-sdr over multicast & multiple decoders

Adam Nielsen a.nielsen at shikadi.net
Mon Dec 31 01:03:34 UTC 2012

> Would it not be more efficient to have a single tuner dongle outputting all of
> its samples over multicast (or into a shared memory segment for that matter,
> if you want to stay on the same host) and then having a bunch of decoder
> processes listening to the samples and decoding what they need out of them?

I believe the dongles start to drop samples over 3.2Msps, so you may find you
get a better quality signal by using multiple dongles with a lower sampling rate.

I don't think it is necessarily any more efficient to use one dongle instead
of multiple, it just depends on whether the channels of interest fit within
the bandwidth of the dongle.  If they do, then great, you will only need one.
  If not then you don't have much of a choice.

Cheers,
Adam.