[osmocom-event-orga] SIM card plastic sizes

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Fri Apr 19 14:13:45 UTC 2019

Hi!

At the meeting yesterday we've been brainstorming the use of smaller
sized plastic cards for the SIM cards in order to reduce both the amount
of plastics waste we generate, as well as to reduce the quite
significant amount of UPS shipping charges of the cards from Asia to
Germany. To give you an idea: 5000 SIM cards with full-size plastic
has a net weight of 20 kg.

I got a response from the factory:  They can produce a half-sized
plastic (half the classic ID-000) and also a quarter-sized plastic. I
was told they'll send me design templates with detailed mechanical
measurements shortly.

Please let me know with whom I should be sharing those files.  I would
expect the factory not want those templates to be published, so I won't
be sharing them on this list but only privately with whomever will be
working on a related design.