[osmocom-event-orga] No time for 35c3 gsm after all

Stefan Sperling stsp at stsp.name
Sun Oct 28 07:57:11 UTC 2018

I am sorry about this, but I realised that I won't have time to help
out with the GSM team after all. I have too many other voluntary
commitments to meet, both in open source work I'm doing and in helping
friends who need support in "real life". Running a GSM network at congress
is a fun exercise but I can't commit to it at the expense of my other
commitments.

I took on one task during the kick-off meeting, which was to find
850-band BTS hardware in sysmocom's pool. I have already asked Harald
about this. Unfortunately it looks like there won't be a lot of equipment
that can do 850 band after all.
The Nano3Gs used last year can apparently do it, but they only support
8 concurrent calls per BTS. There's some other similar Nano3G equipment
(can't recall the name right now) which can support 16 voice calls.
But these have never been tested, and it's unclear if they will work.
Someone needs to try running these with the osmocom stack. I suppose
Lynxis, Kevin and Neels should be able to get access to those devices.

Cheers, and have fun!
Stefan