[osmocom-event-orga] after 34C3 GSM Meeting

Kévin Redon ml at mail.tsaitgaist.info
Thu Jan 18 14:04:29 UTC 2018

I won't be able to join since I'm currently not in Berlin, but here a couple of points I noted:
- we could install more BTS/HNB (in the end 3 HNB were still not patched to our network)
- statistics are not necessary, but we should collect and use the load data to be able to set the RF power accordingly and/or deploy more base stations
- the slides for the infrastructure review weren't too great, but we only had one hour to make them. I would like to prepare them better next time (if no-one else wants to take over)
- this is probably the most important point: we should get the RF licenses earlier, so we can plan the installation in advance. this would also allow to have SIM card corresponding to the congress design, but I am not sure this is required for the next congress since a lot of white SIM card are remaining from the last congress
- since I mentioned the licenses, we should also try to get an LTE license. It is far too early to say if we will be able to provide any LTE network, but I have a larger eNodeB (with a LTE band 4 RF frontend) and intend to get it operational this year (not with osmocom). Even if we won't use the license for LTE in the end, we at least have the opportunity to do so (and could maybe reuse the band for UMTS).
- we could provide an SMS service for the users to retrieve their SIM ADM PIN. There are not a lot of requests currently, but that would eliminate the manual hassle.
- we could also "advertise" the network a bit more (for fun): using our network would only cost 9c/SMS and 9c/min (usual prepaid rate in germany for decades now), video is free (a la stream on), data is 1euro/Gb, but the 2euro SIM comes with unlimited credit. We could also offer a USSD/SMS service to get the current account balance (if we have/collect the statistics)