[osmocom-event-orga] osmoserv online

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Tue Dec 4 23:09:09 UTC 2018

Neels Hofmeyr wrote:
> > Is such a "bare" buster container image available somewhere?
>
> At least lxc has scripts that install a debian by name, which I use
> to test the eventgsm ansible.
> Would it make sense to pull a tar of its root fs?? probably not.

That would work fine, but we have more options.

Alexander Couzens wrote:
> With lxc I would do cryptsetup(LUKS) + lvm and use a lvm volume for
> the container/vm.

I've done the following:

--8<-- One-time setup
added /dev/sda2 with all unused SSD space
cryptsetup luksFormat /dev/sda2
cryptsetup open /dev/sda2 container
mkfs.ext4 /dev/mapper/container
cat >> /etc/fstab << EOF
/dev/mapper/container /var/lib/container auto noauto 0 0
EOF
cryptsetup close container
-->8--

--8<-- mounting; these are the manual steps after each reboot
cryptsetup open /dev/sda2 container
mount /var/lib/container
-->8--

> Otherwise it is possible to install such debian using debootstrap.
> Otherwise I'm not familiar with ready images.
> I could make a fresh file system and debootstrap and then pull an
> img of that partition??
..
> Step 2: install OS
>
> would something like this do??
> https://us.images.linuxcontainers.org/images/debian/buster/amd64/default/20181203_05:25/rootfs.tar.xz

Yep! I downloaded it to /var/lib/container/lxcbuster.tar.xz and
unpacked into /var/lib/container/lxcbuster/ which then shows up
as an image with machinectl:

# machinectl list-images
NAME      TYPE      RO  USAGE CREATED MODIFIED
lxcbuster directory no  n/a   n/a     n/a

1 images listed.
#

I prepared the unpacked dir:

# systemd-machine-id-setup --root /var/lib/container/lxcbuster
# echo lxcbuster > /var/lib/container/lxcbuster/etc/hostname

Now the container can be started:

# machinectl start lxcbuster

And a shell opened:

# machinectl shell lxcbuster

> Though I see that the lxc images apparently are also put up using debootstrap,
> so if we can get debootstrap to run manually, that would be preferable I guess.
> I get this though:
>
> 	osmoserv ~ # emerge dev-util/debootstrap
>
> 	!!! /etc/portage/make.profile is not a symlink
..
> 	!!! Your current profile is invalid.
..
> I have infinite uncertainty there.

Yes, I understand that. The osmoserv system is built by the catalyst
tool on a build server (comparable result to debootstrap+ansible, but
with complete configurability both during compilation and installation)
so I haven't put any package database and not set up any profile.

I've installed debootstrap, dpkg and debian-archive-keyring now.

(I added them to the spec file on the build server, rebuilt, then
copied the binary packages and installed them with qmerge on osmoserv.)

Try it out in a new directory in /var/lib/container/

Alexander Couzens wrote:
> I don't know machinectl. But I'll read shortly into it.

I like it. See also systemd-nspawn, which is container parent.

> > The bad news is that eth0 has now failed, seemingly permanently. This
> > isn't critical, all production communication has always run over eth1,
> > but I have to admit that this is a sign of (too) old hardware. :\
>
> How many ethernet ports does it have?

Two. The only use for eth0 was to ssh into the system when connected
directly with a cable and no keyboard+monitor was availble. It's not
critical for operations since all our VLANs come in through eth1.

I think I can add a NIC to get more ports. I'll take a look.

//Peter