[osmocom-event-orga] GSM or other cellular networks at 33C3

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Sun Nov 27 20:18:25 UTC 2016

Dear list members,

unfortuantely it is only now that we (the CCC) have the final approval
from a German operator to use part of their licensed spectrum during
33C3 in Hamburg.  We are talking about a full 10 MHz chunk in the 1800
MHz spectrum here.  Thanks a lot to Frank for getting this organized.

What still needs to be done is to take that approval to BNetzA and get a
license issued.  This should still be possible in the time that's left.

However, now the big question is if anyone here still has an intreest to
run a GSM/GPRS network at 33C3, particularly given the short lead time.

If you want to volunteer to work on this, please state it *NOW*.  If
three is insufficient volunteers/support within the next few days, we
probably plan and announce there will *not* be any test netwokr like in
previous years.

Also, the time is insufficient for getting 33C3 SIM-cards printed.  So
the question is to either only work with the cards that people might
have from previous events - or to go with sysmocom printed cards.  I
don't really feel so great as they contain marketing/advertisement for
sysmocom as a company - clearly not something that belongs to 33C3, and
particularly not for something people have to buy :/

Given the large spectrum, there's also an option for 3G or LTE.
However, at least in Osmocom we have no software stack for LTE yet.  3G
might be an option for experiments, but we don't have a lot of cells and
can thus not cover the full congress center.  I would love to use the
opportunity to play with 3G/3.5G at the event.  We cannot announce this
as a big public test network though, not from capacity nor coverage nor
software maturity point of view, I think.