[osmocom-event-orga] Update on 33C3 GSM network plans

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Wed Dec 7 16:55:57 UTC 2016

Dear all,

So far it didn't look like anyone but Ulli has volunteered, so I told
Frank Rieger @ CCC that there likely wouldn't be any network.

In recent days hoever, lynxis (aka Alexander Couzens) has indicated that
he would also like to volunteer and even has some friends who also would
want to help out.  This makes it more realistic that there might be a
network, after all.  Also, apparently Jan has confirmed interest in
helping out.

Please coordinate amongst each other here on the list and see who can do
what.  I am not part of the team, so please organize it the way you see
fit and don't wait for me to take any action.  I will be attendign the
event, and will be available in case of 'emergencies' [technical or in
terms of knowing the CCC folks to ask to get something done].

Some starting points:

= Equipment =

* BTSs were offered from Daniel Brune
* few (2-3) can also be provided by sysmocom
* BSC/NITB box: please check with Peter for the machine used in the
  past years, or organize a different rack-mount server that you can put
  in the NOC

= Frequencies =

* DTAG has provided 6 ARFCN in GSM 1800, *not* in the former DECT guard
  band
* letter/application to BNetzA to get the experiemntal license on those
  DTAG frequencies has been submitted

= SIM Cards =

* there was not enoguh time left between the spectrum confirmation and
  the event to print 33c3 sim cards this year!
* we hve some 500-800 sim cards from former events left at sysmocom
  which can be used
* there should be a public call to everyone to bring cards from former
  events
* we also have more than 4000 sysmocom-labelled cards in stock, but I
  don't like the idea to seem like sysmocom is doing advertisement at
  the event.  Up to the team if you would want to use those.  If you do
  want to, please make sure you run this by the POC and the event
  organization to get their approval.

= Wiki =

please make sure you get write permission for the "GSM" page on the
event wiki soon, in order to inform the attendees on whether or not
there will be a network, how to use it, that they should bring old sim
cards if possible in any way, etc.

Good luck!