30C3 aftermath

Sylvain Munaut 246tnt at gmail.com
Thu Jan 2 00:32:09 UTC 2014

Hi,

>>> It would be nice if we could sync the L1 of the BTS and use "shared
>>> ARFCN" where for eg one TS is used by one BTS and another for another
>>> BTS (dynamically of course so the capacity self-adapts).
>>
>> I think that's unrealistic and requires a lot of effort on all layers,
>> including the BSC who currently has no view at all about that.

The BSC part is almost trivial.

Syncing the L1 is the nearly impossible part ...

> But I don't see how this could increase capacity, as number of
> available TSs will stay the same.

It doesn't increase it in absolute terms, but allows to dynamically
allocate the capacity.
And it's definitely used in real networks, because my local network
does it ... with 16 ARFCNs shared for traffic between all the local
BTSs.

Like, as soon as there is a talk in german in one of the hall, the bts
serving that hall gets a lot more traffic than when
If the allocation of TCH is static, then each hall needs the capacity
to handle peak traffic, which may mean 2 ARFCN for each hall (and
being right next to each other, you'd need at least 4 ARFCN to cover
the 3 halls, assuming re-use between the two most distant ones). Now
if you go with a 1 ARFCN + 1 shared ARFCN per hall, you can handle the
same peaks in each hall with (2 + 1 ARFCN) ...

> OTOH, similar balancing can be achieved with the frequency hopping.

??? What does frequency hopping do for load balancing ???

Cheers,

    Sylvain