30C3 aftermath

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Tue Dec 31 14:39:37 UTC 2013

Hi all,

first I'd like to thank those who have volunteered to install and
operate the 30C3 event network.

As I wasn't involved myself, I am not too exhausted to already think
about improvements for future events (31C3, ...)

first some smaller single-line topics:
* more sim cards (easy)
* Java SIM cards (easy in qty >> 1000, which we need anyway)
* handover to neighbor cells in overload situations
* late assignment to keep incompleted calls from taking up a TCH

= audio broadcast =

I did some brainstorming with Peter and Holger about the idea to assign
all phones interested in listening to the audio stream to the same TCH /
timeslot on any given BTS.  This is highly experimental and
non-standard, but I think we can make it work by using late assignment
and ignoring the 100% bit errors in uplink.  It's yet TBD how phones
would ever release from the call, but we can probalby do something like
sending a continuous flow of RELEASE COMPLETE on the SACCH cycling over
all 8 LAPDm sequence numbers.

The question is: Is it worth it?  Are people really listening to
lectures using GSM (bad quality, ...)?  And if yes, should we simply
disable this feature on GSM to make room for more important stuff?

= network structure / capacity =

To increase capacity, we can either get our hands on hardware with many
more TRX, or we can reduce the cell size and deploy more sysmoBTS 1002.
The latter would definitely be possible from the sysmocom point-of-view.
The former would mean that we can obtain a sufficient number of
multi-TRX BTSs.

If we make smaller cells, this would mean that the BTSs would be
* PoE powered
* have no PA/LNA
* operate with reduced tx power (20mW?) and high rxlev_access_min
* use directly attached small rubber antennas

I like that approach as it simplifies the setup. No power supplies, no
antenna cabling, no large wooden boards, ... - it would in the end be
very similar to the the wifi APs or the DECT 'antennas'.

Any thoughts?