LAN access at the venue

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Fri Oct 26 13:19:15 UTC 2012

Alexander Chemeris wrote:
> I'm thinking whether we could operate OpenBTS in "Remote Radio Head"
> mode, where base CPU units are located in a server room and
> transceivers are streaming I/Q data to them over LAN. In this case we
> need a guaranteed bandwidth to avoid packet loss - from 9Mbit for
> single-channel TRX with 1SPS to ~72Mbit for dual-channel TRX with
> 4SPS.

Thanks for the info. I'll talk to the NOC guys about this.

Did you already consider some different sites for your deployment? I
don't think we have decided for OpenBSC yet. I would actually like to
use a MetroSite or two.

Transceiver location will matter for how easily NOC will be able to
provide dedicated andwidth, if at all.

> I have never used VLAN, but from what I understand it means that we
> share the bandwidth with other network users and thus we hardly could
> expect to occupy that much bandwidth. Is that correct?

VLAN in this case means that NOC gives us a private layer 2 network.

It doesn't have to mean that the layer 2 network is distributed
around the building in a shared medium with other VLANs, although
that is the standard practise. It may still be possible for us to
have dedicated bandwidth at least in some locations.

We might be able to allocate Saal 11 for our use. One server room is
nearby, around the first corner (like a hook) south of Saal 11.

http://stuge.se/photos/CCH_29C3/01._OG

//Peter