LAN access at the venue

Alexander Chemeris alexander.chemeris at gmail.com
Fri Oct 26 13:02:33 UTC 2012

On Fri, Oct 26, 2012 at 12:59 AM, Peter Stuge <peter at stuge.se> wrote:

> > > There's not much copper in the building, mostly fiber, so expect GbE.
> >
> > Hope so!
>
> Are there special concerns for your deployment? If yes, please tell,
> so that I can bring them up with network guys. Anything is generally
> possible as long as it is planned in advance, that is different from
> the Berlin venue where anything could also be set up ad-hoc. The new
> venue requires more planning ahead.

I'm thinking whether we could operate OpenBTS in "Remote Radio Head"
mode, where base CPU units are located in a server room and
transceivers are streaming I/Q data to them over LAN. In this case we
need a guaranteed bandwidth to avoid packet loss - from 9Mbit for
single-channel TRX with 1SPS to ~72Mbit for dual-channel TRX with
4SPS.

I have never used VLAN, but from what I understand it means that we
share the bandwidth with other network users and thus we hardly could
expect to occupy that much bandwidth. Is that correct?

Alexander Chemeris.
CEO, Fairwaves LLC / ООО УмРадио
http://fairwaves.ru