OpenBSC / OpenBTS integration

Sylvain Munaut 246tnt at gmail.com
Mon Oct 15 14:45:51 UTC 2012

Hi,

I was just wondering what kind of inter-operation was going to be used ?

If both system are to be deployed and be seamless for the user, I
guess they're going to broadcast the same MCC/MNC as we always do.

Now two cases are possibles:

 * We use distinct LAC: This means we need to somehow keep track on
what phone is where and have someway to route calls / SMS
appropriately
 * We use the same LAC: We just send each requests (call/sms) to both
systems, they each initiate paging and whoever respond to the SIP call
is the winner I guess.

In any case there is probably some work to be done there as well since
both system will have to operate from the same HLR (things like the
cipher key sequence and last auth tupe would need to be in sync all
the time).

For voice call both system can talk SIP so although the multi
destination call would need to be tested, that "should" work.
For SMSes however there is no external layer in osmo-nitb AFAIK ...

Cheers,

    Sylvain