POC und mobile auf 28c3

Sascha Ludwig S.Ludwig at eventphone.de
Mon Dec 5 20:16:03 UTC 2011

Hi

Sorry, forgot to answer. Thanks for the ping. :-)

Am 30.11.2011 um 00:07 schrieb Peter Stuge:

> Hi Sascha!
>
> First of all a big thank you to you and your team for your support at
> 27C3 and at camp!
You are always welcome :)

I just deleted your parts where I totally agree or have nothing to say about ;)

> We will attempt to provide mobile-cluey staff to join in a helpdesk
> function, but I am not convinced that this will be consistent.
> Andreas (jolly) has offered to work on mobile helpdesk, but IMO one
> or two people is not enough by far to run a mobile helpdesk
> comfortably. I think we would need more like five people, and we
> simply aren't that many..
Better than no support at all ;-) Just try your best.

> To compensate for this, our idea is to give POC direct access to the
> OpenBSC instance that is running the GSM network, as well as
> neccessary training, e.g. before the event on a wiki page, and during
> the event in person, on how to monitor the network, check the status
> of a subscriber, submit SMS directly, etc.
As far as we know from the recent congresses, we do not have that much
time for deep-support of any kind (DECT/SIP or even GSM) on the first two
days, due to massive DECT registration ;-)

But after that we would really like to get a bit hands-on-openbsc.

> In addition, we want to be more available for your helpdesk, in
> person as far as we can, but at the very least electronically (IRC,
> jabber, DECT, ...) in case of any need for assistance.
I or anyone else on the PoC crew did not really complain about
a non available gsm person last year or on camp :)
But I think for the overall user experience it would be nice if we can
send people with strange phones to someone who is actually available.

> The network will consist of 6 ip.access nanoBTS units installed
> throughout the bcc, and unlike the Nokia MetroSite we used at camp
> these BTSes are somewhat well tested, and should run fairly stable as
> long as we don't enable GPRS (we might enable it at night for testing
> though) - the only known incompatibility is with some HTC Desire
> phones, which send a USSD request on startup which OpenBSC currently
> doesn't support.
Sounds good, as far as I can judge this ;)

> Of course we are happy to contribute some money to the POC coffee
> fund from SIM card sales profit. All old SIM cards will continue to
> work. New SIM cards sold will likely be sysmoSIM[2] since there
> aren't too many magicSIM available. The primary user-visible
> difference is that sysmoSIM comes with PIN and PUK, both printed on
> the card, and the PIN is required to log on to the card. The
> procedure for subscribers to join the network will otherwise be
> identical to the procedure at camp.
Donation to the PoC coffee fund as well as receiving a coffee is
always welcome :)

> Please give us some feedback on these ideas! We want to improve the
> mobile phone experience for everyone involved, users as well as
> operations. In particular please also let us know if you have ideas
> that we haven't thought of!
I hope Jolly & folks will be placed next to us.
I have an open-task for that @ cpunkt->congressplanung ;)

> Kind regards,
> //Peter & Holger (Harald is also on the list)

Kind regards
Sascha &
PoC guys