AGCH Channel via virtual Um

Ivan Babanov ivan.babanov at gmail.com
Sat Nov 27 19:45:53 UTC 2021

Hello all!
I'm sorry for a stupid question, but I can't find an answer by myself.
We are using Osmocom solution in University to demonstrate to students
how GSM works.
We have and fully virtualized workplaces with osm-bts-virtual and
osmocom-bb UE via virtual Um.
We are making an IMSI Attach procedure and capturing traces with
wireshark. Virtual Um messages are visible in wireshark traces  with
"gsmtap" filter. According standart description, after RACH request UE
should receive channel assignment via AGCH channel. But AGCH is not
visible in traces. Am I wrong in my expectations somewhere? I tried to
filter out messages, tried to filter gsmtap.chan_type == 4 but still
no luck.

Thank you
Vania