USA or Mexico alternative to OsmoDevCon?

Harald Welte laforge at osmocom.org
Wed Nov 3 10:42:22 UTC 2021

Hi Mychaela,
On Tue, Nov 02, 2021 at 02:03:00PM -0800, Mychaela Falconia wrote:
> Seeing that OsmoDevCon 2022 is being discussed, I would like to propose
> a more inclusive alternative, to be held in either USA or Mexico.

I would consider this an alternative in the sense of "in addition to",
but not in the sense of "either or".  Fact is that the far majority of past
and present active Osmocom developers are in or closer to Europe than
to the Americas.  So from a "overall effort to get everyone in one place"
from both a financial but also an ecological point of view, hosting it
in Europe has advantages.

> 1) Since its very beginning, ODC has been exclusionary, limited only
> to Osmocom developers specifically, excluding those developers and
> tinkerers who work on non-Osmocom projects in the "indie" telecom
> space,

Well, it is an _osmocom_ developer conference.  By the most obvious and
literal meaning of that name, it means "for osmocom developers". Please
note that in the past, at our discretion, we did invite select people
from other projects such as Sukchan to cover open5gs, or Ismael to cover
srsLTE, or very early on also David Burgess from OpenBTS.

If somebody (e.g. you in your proposal) wanted to organize an event
about all kinds of free software / open source / "indie" telecom
projects, I would certainly welcome it.  The more, the merrier.

I am not aware of any similar events being hosted for the srsLTE/srsRAN,
open5gs or yateBTS projects/communities.  The only (non FOSS but "PSS"
in your definition) project with a track record of events/conferences
I know of is OpenAirInterface.

> 2) The recent decision to limit OsmoDevCon only to those who have
> agreed to put a certain class of pharmaceutical into their bodies,

There was no decision yet, but just a proposal.  Also, in general, I
think it is recognized that the organizer[s] of an event get to
determine the attendance requirements, particularly so if it also
involves questions of public health.

--
- Harald Welte <laforge at osmocom.org>            http://laforge.gnumonks.org/