OsmoDevCon 2022 ?

Harald Welte laforge at osmocom.org
Tue Nov 2 12:17:28 UTC 2021

Hi Sylvain,

thanks for your feedback

On Tue, Nov 02, 2021 at 11:22:21AM +0100, Sylvain Munaut wrote:
> I'm definitely for it and would attend and the usual timeframe sounds good.

excellent, so we're already two :)

>  - Self Test : Although a test before departure sounds like a good
> idea, I'm not really sure of the need / efficacy of a day to day test.
> But I also have no issue taking one if people are more comfortable
> that way or think it's worth it.

I've seen this done at some of the companies I was visiting in recent months,
as well as some hacker related  gatherings.  Not sure if it really makes
much sense either. Given that it's negligable cost and quick to do, I
had proposed it.

>  - Venue : Obvious questions is what are the alternatives :)

sysmocom could of course rent some kind of venue in a hotel, like we did
for the second OsmoCon at that time.

I "like" the IN-Berlin venue because we know it well and it has an
undeniable authentic DIY + hacker spirit.  I also know it is not the
most practical venue in terms of size/space/comfort.  Plus in the
context of proper ventilation in COVID times something with more space
between participants and more air volume might be better suited.

Of course there's quite some cost associated with a regular commercial
hotel conference room, and it would also mean we cannot have a variety
of external catering options like we did in the past.

Cost-wise, sysmocom could certainly cover it - but of course we don't
have to throw funds at the hotel industry unless the participants
consider it advantageous in some way.

>  - Ventilation : I honestly have no idea on the efficacy of that, but
> if you got filters for the sysmocom office, I guess you did some
> research and if they are movable and not obnoxiously loud, that can't
> hurt.

They are small, movable and quiet.  I also am not sure how much it
helps, but given those factors it doesn't really have any downside.

>  - Masks : You didn't mention it in your original email, but
> personally I think in this context ( low number of people, but quite
> extended period of time, + meals / drinks ), their efficacy would be
> negligible. But again, if the consensus is to wear them, I have no
> issues with that.

I agree, plus wearing masks for four days all day long is not really
practical, so I didn't even consider it.

--
- Harald Welte <laforge at osmocom.org>            http://laforge.gnumonks.org/