OsmoHNBGW M3UA IPSP mode

Harald Welte laforge at osmocom.org
Thu Jan 28 15:50:49 UTC 2021

Hi Mirko,

On Thu, Jan 28, 2021 at 10:52:41AM +0100, Mirko Kovacevic wrote:
> not many discussions found  on OsmoHNBGW topic.

Indeed, it became in general very quite here on many osmocom mailing list,
which is probably caused by:

* less community / volunteer interest in 2G and 3G technologies

* the professional/commercial user base has been growing significatnly, but
  they mostly don't want to discuss topics on public mailing lists, at least
  in the telecom operator/vendor industry

* less ability/willingnes to use mailing lists for communication

> 1. Can we connect O' HNBGW directly to SGSN without STP (IPSP mode)?

No, IPSP is generally not supported by lbiosmo-sigtran.  We only support
ASP and SGW roles, but not IPSP.  This has so far not been requested/required
by anyone.  All the third party equipment we interoperatd with typically supports
non-IPSP modes.

> 2. If not, I am wondering do OSMOCOM have development support for IPSP M3UA
> mode in SIGTRAN development files or elsewhere?

No such development has been done.  Both OsmoSTP and OSmoHNBGW use the same
libosmo-sigtran library, which only support ASP and SGW mode.

If IPSP were to be developed, it would immediately be available both in OsmoSTP
and all applications like OsmoHNBGW, OsmoMSC, OsmoSGSN, ...

We always appreciate contributions, whether in form of patches or in form of
funding of development.

> Thank you in advance, and keep shaking mobile development world.

thanks :)

- Harald Welte <laforge at osmocom.org>            http://laforge.gnumonks.org/